Sunday 30 October 2011

Evaluation Of Finished Preliminary Task

I am very pleased with the effect of my magazine cover and contents page and personally feel they both went better than expected.
I mainly used Photoshop but included Word and DaFont. In Photoshop i used the brightness/contrast and hue/saturation tool to make my picture look less dull and more colourful. I also used the text tool a lot, as well as word. DaFont was very helpful for interesting titles and the bar code image. I feel that i have learnt a lot about how to use photoshop over the past few weeks and that i have improved a lot. I think i am now ready to move on to the next big task (a music magazine) and execute it well, knowing many new techniques on photoshop.
I studied and researched many magazines before drafting my own, and decided to make a magazine with a similar style to vogue, because i liked the curly typography and striking layout, although i didnt want to make it so expensive looking. As this is a school magazine, I thought that this would appeal to female college/6th form students because it is focused on fashion at school (you can tell this from the picture on the front cover). Also i decided to make the colours on both the cover and contents page quite feminine to fit with the target audience, and made the contents page fit with the cover by using brick on both. This adds a sense of continuity in the magazine.
I think the strengths of the magazine include the main picture, as it shows it is a fashion magazine and the fonts because they stand out and add interest. Also on the contents page the images are relatable. The weaknesses could include the background  of the front coveras i feel it is too busy. This means its hard to focus on the text/images. As a result of this i attempted to darken/dull the background but could not make it less distracting. Another weakness could be that the contents page is very plain, although i believe it holds all the necessary information.
Overall i am happy that my magazine is suitable for teens at school/college and would sell because it can relate to them. It looks interesting and is the kind of magazine that would stand out in a shop. In future, i can take the skills i have learnt (from mistakes as well as strengths) and make sure i use the knowledge i have gained positively.



¨

No comments:

Post a Comment